HALCYON JOURNEY: IN SEARCH OF THE BELTED KINGFISHER IS PUBLISHED!
ASK YOUR LOCAL BOOKSTORES AND LIBRARIES TO ORDER COPIES. AS SOON AS YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK, PLEASE CONSIDER A REVIEW ON AMAZON AND GOOD READS. IF YOU’D LIKE TO BUY A SIGNED COPY DIRECTLY FROM ME, EMAIL ME AT MARINARICHIE1@GMAIL.COM.
I am a freelance writer based in Bend, Oregon. I write about the natural world in a myriad of ways, from my new book to a personal blog, magazine articles, interpretive panels, blogs, media, reports, opinion pieces, websites, essays, and poetry. My master’s degree is in Journalism from the University of Montana and undergraduate in Biology from the University of Oregon.
Twitter: @kingfisherquest, Instagram: marinarichie1
For a sampling of my passion for kingfishers, read my published article in Birdwatching, Mysteries of the Kingfisher’s Belt.
For 2021: Visit my News Page
- Sloth Panel for Meg Lowman (Canopy Meg!) of TreeFoundation.
- Interpretive panels for Willapa National Wildlife Refuge, Bandon Marsh NWR, and a tabletop exhibit for the Oregon Coast refuges.
- BeaverWorks Oregon –joined the team as a storyteller.
- Writing for National Wildlife Federation’s Climate Team.
- Releasing Hope into the World: Big Bald Banding Station, Birdwatching Magazine, May/June, 2020.
- City Kingfisher, Post Road Magazine, March, 2020.
- Parting Thought, Essay on my father, David Richie, published in Winter 2020 A.T. Journeys.
- I presented on kingfishers to an enthusiastic audience at Wild Rivers Night in Bend, Oregon (Feb. 22).
- Blog republished by Dixi Books: Finding the Spiral in Chacala
- First place media award for the Oregon Islands NWR wayside exhibits, with Interpretive Graphics: (I was the writer and project manager, )
- Blogging for National Wildlife Federation.
- Vermont Institute of Natural Sciences Tree Canopy Walk: 10 interpretive panels. View them here.
- A.T. Journeys magazine : Wild East Time Travel
- A.T. Journeys magazine- The Wild Skyway
- Writer for the 34-page Million Pollinator Garden Meets its Mark publication, released in February, 2019.
- Published poem:Farewell to Summer
- May 14: Published a blog about a junco rescue in Center For Humans and Nature
From 2016-2018, I led a project and wrote text for 66 interpretive signs with a focus on seabirds for the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge at 24 locations along the Oregon coast, mostly within Oregon State Parks. Download my portfolio.
From 2016 to 2017, I wrote about bird-friendly yards for Audubon and for Birdwatching Magazine, and continue to have a passion for that subject. The year of 2015-2016 marked my gypsy naturalist explorations, living out of my truck/camper that initiated this blog that I continue to enjoy writing.
From 2011 to 2015, I served as communications director for the Sage Grouse Initiative.
Last but not least, I’m proud to serve on the Board of Directors for Greater Hells Canyon Council.
SAMPLE MORE OF MY WORK HERE AND ON THE NEWS PAGE. (Note that some of my work appears under my given name of Deborah Richie)
Montana Arboretum interpretive panels (with designer Maja Smith).